How to create a system for constant and continuous improvement
Understand the Process: Variations are Major Enemies
- Detecting mode (heavy dependence on inspection/testing/control): Fire fighting is not effective
- Preventive mode (emphasis on “do it right the first time and all the time): Use FEEDBACK to take corrective actions so that the process can be continuously improved.
Deming’s PDSA Cycle: Embedded in the Continuing System
- Plan again
Problem Solving: A Continuous Effort
1.Identify problems as an opportunity
2.Analyze the problem: to find root causes
3.Develop optimal and cost effective solutions
4.Implement changes: system wide
5.Study the results: worked or not? Need adjustment?
6.Standardize solution: Keep problems from reoccurring.
Process Improvement Strategy: Finding Cost Effective Solution
- Control existing process: i.e., statistical process control (SPC)
- Optimize the process: i.e., design of experiment (DOE)
- Change the system: hardware, software and brainware
- New system: machine, human, materials, method
Six Sigma: Aim High
- Build a quality (continuous improvement) culture. Positive and Constructive.
- Drive out fear.
- Provide organization-structural assurance for continuing feedback system.
- Respond to customers needs and solve problems timely.
- Standardize the procedure and continuously improve it.